Mammography is a special type of X-ray imaging designed specifically to image the abnormalities in the breast and plays a major role in early detection of breast cancers. Mammography can show changes in breast well before a woman or her physician can feel them. Successful treatment of breast cancer depends on early diagnosis.
We at Noble Diagnostic Centre not only screen for breast abnormalities, but also confirm it by diagnostic mammography using additional imaging tests such as Ultrasound. Also, ultrasound guided FNAC or biopsy can be performed at our centre.
Which women must get an X-ray mammogram done ?
- All women above the age of 40 yrs must get an annual X-ray mammogram.
- Since breast cancers are relatively uncommon under the age of 30 yrs, younger women with “high risk factors” must get themselves screened for breast cancer with a baseline mammogram at the age of 30-35yrs.
- A women of any age who complains of any warning sign of breast cancer.
What are the “high risk factors” for developing breast cancer ?
- Age : Women above 45 yrs of age.
- Family history of cancer : The risk doubles for a woman whose mother, sister, daughter, grandmother, aunts or cousins have had the disease.
- A women whose first full-term pregnancy is delayed ie until after age 30 yrs.
- Women with early onset of menstrual periods and / or women in whom menopause has set in late.
- Spinsters and childless married women .
What are the warning signs of breast cancer ?
- Any lump or thickening in the breast/underarms.
- Any discharge from the nipple.
- A change in size or shape of the breast.
- A change in colour or feel of the skin of the breast ( skin thickening, dimpling, puckering etc).
*Pain is usually not a sign of early breast cancer